You may have noticed that the blog posts have slowed down a lot this past week.
It is a bit of a crunch time at work for me right now (some of my students are writing a provincial exam tomorrow so last week was all about writing and writing some more, which meant late nights of marking for me), the weather has actually turned decent the past 2 weekends, so, when not marking, I have been outside doing yard work, and the last reason is that I am just stuck on some big projects that are partially completed but that I just can’t seem to find the time or energy to complete (gallery wall in office, mudroom shelving, laundry countertop, recovering chair…).
I’ll get there, though.
I did want to show you what we had been up to outside.
Last summer, we worked very hard and finished the front yard of the house. We built a rock wall and a paver stone patio and stairs.
But the back yard still looked like this.
As the ground had been disturbed from the house build, it was full of Canada thistle, quack grass, and clover.
And then we moved in and lived here for a while and this happened.
Junkapalooza. And not in a cool, Junk Gypsy kind of way either.
More of a horrifying, what-kind-of-hoarders-live-here kind of way.
Apparently, the kind that heats their home with wood.
And collects antlers and garbage can and barbecues. That kind of hoarder.
Anyway, back to the yard…
Here is the view of the entire back yard including the back
hoarding wood-storage porch and the rest of the space. Because of the sheer size, it was intimidating getting started.
The slope at the back provided some challenges as well (but great protection from the north wind). I think this little nook carved into the slope will be our fire pit area.
This raised area is just outside the back mudroom/ hallway door. We are going to plant this all out in grass and have a couple of flower beds.
But guess what we are doing with that bank…
That’s right. We are back to building another rock wall. It just makes sense. The ground is very rocky here (we do live at a gravel pit) and we don’t see why we would move them away rather than just use them on site. That bank had to be stabilized with something.
The reason why the picture seems so dark is that we had my dad come up with his loader to even out the ground for us, so the whole length of the yard has a fresh covering of dirt.
We don’t fool around. It would take a lot of wheelbarrow trips to move that much dirt.
The really good news was that not only did we get the backyard leveled out and a space created out of that back bank for a wood shed…
(this makes my husband very happy and maybe will help to keep the back covered porch clean…maybe)…
…but we also discovered that we actually have soil in the backyard. We thought before that it was all rock and sand and that we were going to have to buy a million yards of black dirt before we planted grass seed.
A lot of nice, rich soil to plant grass in. Yay!
Once we finish picking out all the rocks! Boo!
Lots of work left to do, but we have made a lot of progress in the last two weekends! We also planted some trees and I finally got brave enough to start a job that has been intimidating me for a year and a half now.
I’ll give you a sneak peak.
Please ignore the mess surrounding the door. We do.
My workload this week is not as crazy as it has been so hopefully I can finish up some projects around here. Or maybe even relax on that patio.