One of the items we received from my in-laws for our housewarming gift was an art deco type curio cabinet. We hauled it home along with a few other items and some supplies for our garage revamp project.
We were in desperate need of a sideboard for our eating area, and it was perfect.
Well, not perfect. Here it is before.
A little bit on the beat up side. A little bit on the orange side.
But it had great lines and details.
And we loved the doors.
So I had big plans for it with some Annie Sloan Chalk Paint. I decided on Old White for the outside with Primer Red interior.
The painting started out ok, but we had a disaster part way through when, during the crazy garage revamp extravaganza, along with doing about six other projects in the garage at the same time, one of the doors got broken!
Of course it was the one I already had put a coat of paint on. So…. we decided that it would be impossible to match the pattern exactly, so we took the doors to a glass shop and had the glass in both doors replaced. Then hubs got to work replicating the pattern and painting it on.
We had the glass shop save the unbroken glass and he painstakingly traced the pattern onto the new glass using painter’s tape which he then cut out using a razor.
The tape then got peeled off, carefully, after about 4 coats of the Annie Sloan in Primer Red on the glass. A little more work to touch up…
Meanwhile, the rest of the painting was going smoothly, thank goodness!
Both interior and exterior took two coats of paint. This is after only one on the inside.
I also recovered the cloth in the little silverware case built in at the top of the cabinet. It was a kind of hideous blue velvet to begin with.
So I took it all apart, repainted the dividers, and recovered the base.
Painter’s drop cloth, of course.
Here it is all finished and beautiful…
The lovely shape and detailing on the curio made it perfect to catch all of that dark wax. I waxed first with the clear and then used a mix of dark and clear to give it some texture. It’s really easy to darken or lighten to your heart’s content if you use the clear first.
A little distressing on the edges…
The top is too pretty to even have to put anything on. Good thing. Vignettes aren’t my strong suit (yet!).
The recovered silverware cubby.
The painstakingly repainted doors. I think they were worth it!
And there you have it! Orange and blue and DIY disaster to vintage beauty!
Linking to Shades of Amber’s Chalk Party!